Welcome to the Associated New Zealand ME Society (ANZMES), serving New Zealanders with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since 1980. ANZMES objects in the constitution are:
- To provide support for and publish and distribute information to groups and individuals suffering from or interested in ME/CFS including their families and carers.
- To provide a National focus for and to represent individual sufferers and support groups for ME/CFS in New Zealand.
- To promote research into the study of ME/CFS, and of the causes and treatments of this disease and to liaise internationally and keep abreast of current research.
- To maintain ANZMES position as advisory body in this area of ME/CFS.
- To raise awareness of ME/CFS by educating health professionals and the wider community about this medical condition.
- To produce a regular publication to all subscribing members to disseminate information and support.
We provide information, support and practical advice for people, families and carers affected by ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). We also fund and support research, and offer education and training. ME/CFS is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Symptoms affect several body systems and may include weakness, muscle pain, impaired memory and/or mental concentration, and insomnia, which can result in reduced participation in daily activities. ME/CFS is known by many other names such as Tapanui Flu, Yuppie Flu etc.
In New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 20,000 sufferers. ME/CFS is thought to afflict around 150,000 in the UK, and over one million in the US. The economic cost to each family with a sufferer has been estimated to be in the region of NZ$35-45,000 per year.
Whether you are a person with ME/CFS, a medical professional, a caregiver or just curious, we hope that the information you find here will improve your understanding of this devastating illness that affects approx three/four in a thousand New Zealanders. There is a network of support groups throughout New Zealand that are are affiliated to ANZMES.
On this website, you will find a range of useful information for sufferers and their families, caregivers, friends and medical professionals. It is an evolving site however, so please visit again.
For Information about ME/CFS and research material look here
See Dr Vallings’ Books available for purchase from
Donations to ANZMES are welcomed.
Your donations to ANZMES will go towards:
- Ensuring people can speak to someone directly to get the help that they need
- Helping in the production of up to date medical Information about ME
- Invitation of overseas ME/CFS Specialists to educate the NZ medical Fraternity
- Raising awareness about ME/CFS in the community through media releases
- Regularly approaching the Government to implement better care for sufferers
- Furthering the research into ME
You can donate by Internet Banking
01 0414 0276330 00
Or by Cheque Payment to
P O Box 36 307
Or on our Give a Little Page Adjacent right
Membership entitles you to four copies of ‘Meeting Place’ each year, access to ANZMES resources such as information sheets, Doctors booklets and national representation.
Subscription is $40, but a reduced subscription is available for those on low incomes. Please contact the ANZMES Administrator to discuss this.
For those who are financially challenged a free sub called Helping Hands is also available. Ring the Administrator to discuss.
A family membership is available for $5 for each other family member who wants to join when the first family member has paid a full sub. This allows for voting etc but each family only gets one Meeting Place.
Please send us your name, address, telephone number, and email address if you have one. Include your subscription and any donation you may wish to make.
You may make a payment by direct Bank. (which we prefer) see bank numbers below
01 0414 0276330 00
You can pay be cheque if you would like payable to: ANZMES Inc.
A membership renewal form is sent out at the end of each financial year (April to March).
Research Fundraising Booklet.
Dave O’Hara ANZMES committee member and his wife Stephanie have written a book called ME and ME, A story of a life with ME/CFS from sufferer and caregiver.
If you wish to donate money for this booklet , it will be passed onto ANZMES who will use donated money to help fund Prof Tate’s NZ research into ME/CFS. Please send cheque to the office or use the Westpac Number that is found above.
Receipts are issued and donations over $5 are tax refundable.